|Brookline Labrador Retriever Rescue
Helping Labs Find Their Fur-Ever Homes
|Top 10 Reasons to Adopt a Black Lab!
10. They are so easy to find in a snowstorm!
9. If you like to wear jeans a lot, black fur doesn't really show up as
much as yellow!
8. Black and white photography is so much fun!
7. Their coats are so shiny and their teeth look whiter on a black
6. You and your new black Lab will make a great fashion statement, as
all the new hot collars look great on a black background!
5. You never know if they've been rolling in mud!
4. Makes a game of hide and seek in the dark oh so challenging!
3. More likely to scare off a bad guy before they lick the intruder to
2. You look so chic and accessorize so easily with a black Lab. They
match that little black dress or black pants that go with everything!
1. Walking a black Lab makes you look 10 lbs. thinner!
Or it may just be that no matter the breed-pure or mixed-my family always seemed to end up with a
black dog! Whether we chose a pooch from the pound (we had several of those) or a stray found us
(we had even more of this variety as my sisters and I regularly carried goodies to lure them home) they
were invariably dark furred. I was in hindsight to have learned at an early age that "black is beautiful."
Not so lucky are the big black dogs that find themselves stuck in shelters. They are, by all accounts, the
first to be surrendered and the last to be adopted mainly because they are black. Instead of choosing a
dog based on personality and good solid family fit, many folks unconsciously pass over black dogs due
to the harboring of negative superstitions about them, or they look big and scary and may have a bad
reputation. They also do not photograph or "show" very well in a poorly lit kennel.Let's take a page from
David Letterman's bag of comedy tricks and ponder the upside of adopting a big black dog.
By Cinnie Frith, BLRR Volunteer